Thursday 11 August 2016

11 August 2016 Lyons Farm, Melling, Kirkby, near Liverpool, Merseyside




Rain dominated the day; almost relentless, depressing and keeping us indoors. With a lame vehicle and no solution yet, we waited for a call from the garage, so that we could deal with other pressing matters and provide a way forward.

The morning was spent reading and on the positive side, I finished reading “Wolf Hall”, a book I have hugely enjoyed not only for the story, well known history but the writing style. No wonder Hilary Mantel was awarded the Man Booker Award in 2009; I look forward to reading the two volumes that follow. I spent the entire afternoon editing and amending Chris’s genealogy I have been working on this year. These were bright spots and happy opportunities amid the gloom of our days. It is rare that I allow myself to succumb to negativity, but today was one such.

Late in the afternoon when the rain finally relented, I took yesterday’s rubbish across to the farm yard for disposal and ran into Chris G. I told him we were intending to seek him out later, once we had some sort of schedule from the garage. I related our sad story to him and asked the important question; could we please extend our stay here for an indefinite period until the vehicle was again roadworthy?

Happily he was sympathetic and assured me that there would be no obstacles here; this was one weight off our shoulders.

No sooner did I return and report the good news to my Chris that Pete from the Chapelhouse Motor Group phoned. Could we have the vehicle at their workshop tomorrow morning so they can have the situation assessed for an engineering solution? We responded in the affirmative and asked if they might have a courtesy car available. There could be but circumstances tomorrow will decree whether we have need of one. Hopefully there will be more clarity tomorrow.

Since then we have phoned to the CL we were booked to stay near Preston to explain the situation and postpone our stay. This is further complicated by the fact there is mail already on its way to that address for us, and the possibility of not having space available to us at some vague future time. We also rang through to the CS we had booked near Penrith, and again explained the situation; the booking is now cancelled but we did say we still hoped to come at a later date if there are vacancies.

So at the end of the day, while there is no real good news, we have moved on a little and look forward to another step tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment